The Explore Canada Awards of Excellence recognize contributions to storytelling that inspire travellers to explore Canada. Earlier this year, this celebration of stellar content invited Canadian and international entrants – from bloggers and journalists to photographers and videographers – to submit their inspired travel tales in five content categories. Furthermore, members of the Canadian tourism industry were invited to submit their work for consideration in two additional categories.
After reviewing over 285 high-quality entries from twelve countries, three entries have been selected as finalists in each category. Here is the list of those finalists and the judges who will adjudicate entries in each category.
Culture, Attractions, Festivals and Events:
- Brandon Presser, Out Magazine (USA)
150 Things We Love About Canada
- Christophe Migeon, A/R Magazine (France)
The Land with the Golden Claws
- Yanhong Hu, Lonely Planet Traveller (China)
Edmonton: Living for Festivals
The finalist entries above will be judged by Dave Pierce, Emmy award-winning Canadian songwriter, composer and producer.
- Barbara Sligl, Westworld (Canada)
- Catherine Marshall, Qantas Magazine (Australia)
Island of Plenty
- Kat Tancock, The Globe and Mail (Canada)
Rolling along the Dumpling Trail
The finalist entries above will be judged by Véronique Rivest, one of the most respected sommeliers in Canada and abroad and owner of SOIF wine bar in Gatineau, Quebec.
- Byung Yong Lee, KBS 1 TV (South Korea)
My Neighbour, Charles
- Margo Pfeiff, San Francisco Chronicle (USA)
Rise of Nations – Revival in Tribal Culture Offers New Paths to Discovering Vancouver
- Max Anderson, Sydney Morning Herald (Australia)
Heart of the Prairie
The finalist entries above will be judged by Chris Adamkowski, Head of Industry: Government, Tourism and Airlines, at Google.
Adventure at all Levels:
- David Webb, Explore Magazine (Canada)
- David Williams, Evening Standard (United Kingdom)
Take me to the (Thirty Mile) river
- James Sturz, The Wall Street Journal (USA)
Snorkeling with Salmon on Vancouver Island: A Beginner’s Guide
The finalist entries above will be judged by David Labistour, CEO at Mountain Equipment Co-op.
- Norie Quintos, National Geographic Travel (USA)
Banff: Escape to the Rugged Beauty of Canada’s First National Park
- Susan Nerberg, enRoute Magazine (Canada)
North of 58°
- Viktor Apfelbacher, Markus Augé, Christian Cools, Mechtild Lehning, André Schäfer and Anna Steuber, Florianfilm (Germany)
Canada’s National Parks – Season 1
The finalist entries above will be judged by David Miller, President & CEO at World Wildlife Fund Canada.
Best Media Itinerary:
- Banff & Lake Louise Tourism
The finalist entries above will be judged by Nathan Lump, Editorial Director at Luxury & Lifestyle Group at Time Inc. and Editor in Chief at Travel + Leisure.
Most Innovative PR Campaign:
- IHG – Intercontinental Hotels Group
- Ottawa 2017
- Tourisme Montréal
The finalist entries above will be judged by Amy Farley, Senior Editor at Fast Company.
The winners will be announced at GoMedia Canada 2017 taking place in Halifax, Nova Scotia, October 1-5, 2017.